Tuesday, March 8, 2011

working hard and waterfalls.

I am absolutely loving being here and working here. Every day brings about new adventures and lessons learned.

-Friday was quite the experience as I sat in on the MMF monthly meeting. In traditional Thai style, everyone sat on the floor on mats and pillows... personally, I think every office should conduct their staff meetings that way :D. The meetings are very participatory which can be a challenge but also a benefit as each person can feel free to share their questions and concerns.

-On Saturday we went to the youth scholarship program meeting. Basically, it was about 20 college students getting together to do worship, devotions, announcements, and plan future events. It was pretty cool to hang out with students my age, but once again that language barrier can be such a challenge. Saturday night us girls went to downtown Chiang Rai to grab some dinner and do a little shopping... overall, great Saturday.

-Sunday=amazing! we went to a little Lahu church right by Blessing Home and then went with a bunch of the kids to Khun Korn Waterfall! It was so awesome! We hiked 1km through a bamboo jungle and then swam in and climbed the waterfall. We even shampooed our hair in it... which reminds me... I haven't bathed since and it's Tuesday... that's kind of gross (still proud, mom?) Don't worry... showering is somewhere on my lengthy to-do list. hehehe.

-Monday & Tuesday & probably Wednesday too- office days! The office here is so "chill" (as those darn teenagers would call it these days). Mel and I have been working on the blog/new website and updating the facebook page too. EVERYONE who reads this should go look at it and "Like it" on Facebook. Check it out: http://minorityleadership.wordpress.com/


In other news, I've been cooking my own dinner making up some little Thai-Italian fushion dish... I like it, but I'm the only one who has tried it so I think I'm a bit biased. Also, I read A Thousand Splendid Suns in less than 48 hours.

Also, here's my quote for today: "Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world." -Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Sometimes it's easy to get discouraged and think we are too small to do anything of impact or have anything to offer, but life experiences seem to indicate otherwise. So whether you are reading this to procrastinate from homework, behind a desk in an office somewhere, or even in the remote far corners of the earth... just do your little bit of good where you are.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

keep writing. i am reading. love hearing about your days. i can picture you there while i miss you here. adore you!!

Angelina said...

OOoo I love that quote! Very inspirational (you and the quote). I've always looked up to you as someone who does a great amount of good for the world! Love you, T.

DMB said...

I'm so glad that you read 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'! I read that my senior year of high school and it was amazing. I look forward to experiencing your Thai-Italian creations : ) Love you. Miss you. Praying for you <3