Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Safariiiiiiiii

Sunday: We had quite a fab (very commonly used by the UK peeps) day at the Mountain Inn. It was great bonding for the 4 of us (Kylee, Stephanie, Julie, myself) and then we had movie/chill night afterwards.

Monday was the mothers meeting (mothers being the head of each orphan home and the volunteers) it went very well and I learned a lot about Swazi culture and the things going on around the farm. Basically it is a weekly staff meeting. Kylie and I will be attending to help with input for different things. It’s quite a cool job. Afterwards I went with Jane and her 3 UK friends to Emafini (this is where the teen challenge actually is and the water bottling plant and Potter’s Wheel church.) After that we went to Eluzitweni (spelling? Haha) where the battered women’s home is located. These women are often victims of domestic violence and are abused and typically run to drugs and alcohol. There are 2 infants there and 2 other boys (3 and 6). While touring the facility I played with the little boys. Precious! Next we went to Matenga Cultural Village. They performed cultural dances and toured the village made completely of straw and wood. It was so cool looking. Monday night is fellowship for the volunteers. So there we bring up any questions and concerns and just hang out.

Tuesday: BE JEALOUS! I went on a real African Safari! We went to Mkhaya game reserve. There you pile into a giant open-top land rover…awesome… I don’t recommend safaris if you get motion sickness haha. We saw wild giraffes, elephants, rhinos, warthogs, nyalas, impalas, antelopes, crocodiles, buffalo, eagles, mongoose, ya know the usual. Mhkaya doesn’t have cats (i.e. lions and leopards) and the hippos were hiding in the bush because the watering hole was too dry. My favorites were the giraffes and elephants. While eating lunch at a beautiful table under a large tree, we had baby nyalas (similar to deer) walking around and guinea fowl were everywhere. I cannot justify eating an animal that is walking around me. So I passed on the nyala stew. I may or may not be slowly becoming a vegetarian. Haha. I opted for butternut squash which was amazing! It was such an exhausting day but so worth it. Tuesday night is Hawane cell. It is for the staff, volunteers, farm workers, etc… just a mix of people. This one was particularly good. It is so amazing to have people from all over worshipping God together. That group is so challenging for spiritual growth. I mean it is simply amazing how in tune people are with God and his will and calling individually and corporately here. Such an encouragement.

Wednesday: I officially started school today. Sounds funny, right? I helped teach grade 3 for the homeschool. I was asked which planet I was from. That was comical. It felt rewarded to teach and see growth within a few minutes and hours. So my daily task is to assistant teach and work with preschool. I will also be doing homework/tutoring. I’m done early today so I have some free time. Everything is going so well. I feel like I’ve been here for a long time because of how comfortable I am already. People are so welcoming I feel like I’ve known them forever. Tonight is Potter’s Wheel cell with Liz. :D

No comments: