Monday, January 24, 2011

classes. massages. and weaving. oh my!

Ok, so I'm not the most faithful blogger ever, but nonetheless... here I go... where we left off... sleep is gradually getting better each night. It's awesome because I go to bed around 10 every night and naturally wake up by 8. If you know me at all... you know that's pretty darn impressive. Well, let's see when I last blogged, it had been all adventures and fun, but then reality set in on Wednesday morning when we had class. :D Fortunately, my profs are amazing and I'm learning so much and gaining so many new fresh perspectives and insights! We have had class from 9-11:30 and then 1-3:30 every weekday. BUT starting tomorrow we'll have a varying schedule and varying classes. So far we're taking Social Context for Community Development which is incredible and aligns closely with my passions and what I want to do in the future. The second class in Thai Cultural Arts which combines studio art concepts with cultural, religious, and philosophical perspectives. SO FUN! I've really been so challenged to dig deeper and search for answers to tougher questions. I have grown so much already academically and spiritually too. God's been teaching me so much about myself and others. I love being stretched like this and am grateful for it. Sometimes it takes getting out of our own context to really examine who we are and where we're headed. Good stuff. Just some food for thought.

On Saturday, a few of us girls went to the pool nearby and swam. perfect. Later in the day we ventured to the nearest town and got an hour massage for $4 US. Amazing! We also attempted brick oven pizza with dough and sauce from scratch and had merengue and salsa lessons while we waited. It was pretty much an ideal Saturday.

Today (Monday), we learned Lahu weaving! Basically, we have a ton of strings everywhere and have to figure out where they go. Those who know me more than just a passing glance or stumbling upon this blog know that I am not typically the best at art projects, however, this is really neat. It's crazy the amount of skill it takes and how unique weaving fabric is... To backtrack... the Lahu are a marginalized hill tribe group and the campus I live on is basically a Lahu Bible college where they also do practical life skills too. Also, they're trying to make it more self-sustaining/sustainable in terms of food production too! I'm a huge fan of that. :D

Random Fact: we get smoothies, iced coffee, and iced tea all the time and it's awesome!
Random Quote: "Bloom where you are planted" -random family favorite (although I'm sure it's not that original)
Random Story:: We often venture on our own for lunch to little roadside stands/restaurants where no one speaks English so half of the time I have no idea what I ordered until I'm eating it.


Also, brief disclaimer: this blog is just a simple college student updating her family and friends back home... so... sorry for any typing errors and for the hey-this-is-me-actually-talking-to-you-laid-back-type-of-thing format. Thanks.

Keeping-it-down-to-earth-but-focused-above,
Tiffany Noel

2 comments:

Jasmine said...

I want a $4 massage! My posture hasn't been the best it can be and after sitting through 1.5 hours of prayer meeting tonight with my head bowed and shoulders awkwardly arched, I could definitely use one.

At any rate, keep on doin yo thang girl and rest assured God is going to bless it.

Lolz @ the disclaimer

Unknown said...

I love reading about your adventures and getting to know your day to day comings and goings. You don't seem so far away. I adore you.