Friday, October 10, 2008

bunkbeds and other nonsense

I’ve just had some random thoughts floating around that I wanted to share with everyone. Brace yourself…. This may be a little intense! Haha. Ok so I’m kind of in charge of the team house (4 bedrooms with 2 sets of bunkbeds each and a kitchen, dining, bathroom, sitting area.) so we have a team coming this weekend from the UK, consequently, I had to do the laundry and make the bunkbeds. So I’m up on one of the bunkbeds tucking sheets in and nonsense and I think to myself, “Tiffany, what is the best possible way to jump off of a bunkbed?” unfortunately, it wasn’t until after I jumped that the thought then occurred, “There is no safe way!” don’t worry… no injuries were sustained in this process. Just thought it may make someone laugh and lighten their day. Ok next story… this one… not comical but really cool. So there’s this family from the US that attend Potter’s Wheel church. They have 4 little boys and are medical missionaries. However, they just left to go back to the states and don’t return until February. But you should check out their website www.thelukecommission.org (or something like that) It’s really cool and their video was awesome. Next…On the farm here (where I live) we have horses who like to leave their fenced in area and graze around my house and the farm in general. They leave nice presents everywhere too. Now if you know much about me you know I’m very very very allergic to horses. And here in Swaziland I finally met someone else who is deathly allergic to them as well! I’m not alone anymore! We are going to start a club. :D haha And next… KFC is very good in Mbabane, Swaziland. So if you are every at the Mbabane shopping plaza… eat KFC but whatever you do… do not order sweppes dry lemon soda… blehhhh! OK so the last thing I’ve been wanting to do for awhile… there are a bunch of terms that are different in Swaziland, England, and Ireland. Rubbish bin-trashcan Queue-line Black currant-some kind of fruit in the UK that is the flavor of the purple skittle instead of grape Gutted- devastated (now I know this is used in the US but they use it all the time in N. Ireland) Swimming Costume-bathing suit (they laughed at me when I said bathing suit! They said it was old-fashion) Braai- barbque Trousers-pants Jumper-jacket or sweatshirt Gogo-grandmother Holiday-vacation or break from school Convy- public transportation Chips-french fries Crisps- potato chips Biscuits-cookies Homestead- house where the Swazis live. These words are all growing on me. I use them often. Also, I’m learning Siswati. I know basic greetings. Yebo! (means yes or in reply to hello.)

Ps. Everyone here is starting to call me TT... that's what Bethany called me when i was a baby! aww. and a lot of my family still does. it's nice.

Ok so life… I’m a bit stressed about things at home (i.e. bills, banks, schools, etc…) but overall okay. I have a lot going on here… I feel like I haven’t stopped since Sunday afternoon. Haha. It has been the longest week by far. There’s been a lot of stuff going on around the farm. Like issues with teenagers, and health problems with kids, and all sorts of things but God is definitely still in control. We had 1.5 huge containers (like shipping containers) of donations from the UK come in so I was put in charge of the workers to organize and make sure everything was safe and secure. The containers are a blessing of course but also quite a hassle with all the sorting and lack of storage space. We will overcome though. I’ve been helping kids with homework and school things outside of school. And I’m still cooking like a pro! Asian beef stirfry last night and melted cheddar ranch chicken with mashed potatoes (homemade of course!) tonight. Man I love dinner. I’m becoming quite known for my baking here as well. Haha. It’s amazing how God uses little talents and passions that I’ve always had. Tonight was youth group, but the girls had a health promotion event so it was just me and 9 guys. It was a great night of fun and fellowship. I taught them crab soccer (where you have to use your hands to move around… and we played inside the house!) I scored 3 goals for my team… holla! :D It was nice just to hang out with them in a smaller group because they talk more. Good fun. Ok so Banele. He was doing better until midday today. His airways closed up and he couldn’t breathe. Luckily they got to him before anything happened. Basically him and at least 3 others of the HIV positive kids (ages 5,7, and 13) have extremely damaged lungs due to multiple chest infections that weren’t taken care of in the past. I saw chest x-rays from the 3 others and they had white spots all over (indicating lung damage.) The good news is that they are all 3 in decent and healthier conditions. They are precious. So this Tuesday I’m supposed to go with Banele and his foster mom and a few others to Banele’s gogo’s homestead (grandmother’s house). Please keep us in your prayers that day because we are anticipating it will be extremely emotional. He wants to say goodbye to her basically. Just pray for strength for all of us and to be able to be supportive to his foster mom and him.


You guys rock. Thanks for reading. Much love.

No comments: